Sunday, January 29

Jesus Fought for Me

I was watching a movie with my family the other night and beyond all the special effects and high action scenes, there was a human story about an absentee father trying to relate to his estranged 11 year old son.  At the emotional arc of the film, the frustrated father exasperatedly asks "What do you want from me?!"  To which his son responds, with tears in his eyes, "I want you to fight for me, that's all I've ever wanted."

Isn't that the truth?  As humans we long to be fought for.  We want to know we're valued enough for someone to risk their comfort, safety, and security for our own.  Whether it's a chivalrous gentleman defending our honor or a friend standing in our corner, we want someone to tell us we're worth it.  I know I do.

As I pondered this fictional son's heartbreaking request to his father, I was reminded of all the beautiful and valiant ways Jesus has fought for me.


When the doctors said I wasn't supposed to live past the age of 10, Jesus fought for me.

When fear crept into my heart and tried to overcome me, Jesus fought for me.

When there were more tears than laughter, Jesus fought for me. 

When financial provision seemed impossible, Jesus fought for me.

When I was so entangled in my own sin that I could not see His light, Jesus fought for me.

When I thought I was an orphan and alone, Jesus fought for me.

When I was heartbroken, Jesus fought for me.

When I ignored Him, Jesus fought for me.

When the world told me there was no way, Jesus fought for me.

When I felt rejected, Jesus fought for me.

When I told Him that I didn't need His help, Jesus fought for me.

When I was too weak to stand, Jesus fought for me.

When I was dead in my sin, Jesus fought for me.  Bled for me.  Died for me.


And He fights for me still.  Ever present and eternally faithful. 

Perhaps God created us with this need to be fought for so that when we see Jesus once again - riding on the clouds with blood on His robe and fire on His eyes - we would know...

He's coming for His Bride.
He's coming for me.  
He's coming to fight for me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment