Monday, July 6

I have hidden Thy Word in my heart


During my time in the Gateways Beyond training school this year, my class chose to memorize chapters 11 and 12 from Paul's book to the Romans. I can personally testify to the benefit of committing large sections of Scripture to memory! After we began to memorize, it seemed like those two chapters were popping up everywhere! In our teaching, morning exhortations, and personal time with Jesus. There's something beautiful in becoming more familiar with the Word of God. It goes from being words on a page, to a deep seated truth within you that you KNOW beyond a shadow of doubt. It deepens your intimacy with Yeshua and gives your life greater fullness in every area, because you've chosen to make the lIving Word alive in you! This could not be more true in my experience with Romans 11 and 12. God used Romans 11 and 12 to speak to me about my destiny, the truths they hold were instrumental in the levels of freedom and deliverance I received this year, and they ultimately became the cries of my intercession. This was all made possible because we made it a point to know these chapters inside and out - word for word. We want to be good Biblical stewards and handle rightly the Word of God. And as we memorized by flash cards, audio Bible on our ipods and meditating on the texts, something began to happen! The Holy Spirit breathed His life into it and subsequently, 7 young peoples lives will never be the same. We have a fuller knowledge of the love of God, His love for Israel, the destiny of nations, the Christian life of sacrifice and the purposes of God in our generation. Now, that was just to name a few, but trust me - the impact was priceless and I'm still getting revelation. And that was just two chapters! Imagine if we learned the whole book?! Most Christians haven't even read the whole Bible, much less memorize it. But, I want to clarify - this isn't Awanas anymore . Don't memorize verses to get a badges on your perverbial "I'm a good Christian" vest, a pat on the back from your pastor, or to wow everyone at the next church event. We need to know the word of God because it is power and life! Jesus is coming back and the gates of hell want to do whatever they can to stop it! We must take up our swords! Demons fear no Christian who lacks the power of the Holy Spirit and the skill to proclaim the word of God.

Peter Prothero is an international speaker and the pastor of Jubilee Church just outside of London, he is also a favorite around the Gateways base when it comes to guest teachers. During my first year, he said something to our class that has stuck with me. He boldly stated that "When temptation comes, it time to SAY, not pray." Unpacked, that means that we, as believers, should have an active prayer life before temptation comes, strengthening ourselves so that when it does come, we boldly proclaim the truth that we are God's children, Jesus died to redeem us, the Holy Spirit has made us new creatures and no scheme of satan will get the best of us! I like that. I wrote it, so I should. But my point is that how can you "say" in the time of trouble if you can't remember it? Really knowing the God's Word will change your life. It did mine. This blog is not to brag on myself and tell you all how great I am for memorizing two whole chapters. Oooo! I only have what.....thousands more to go. Trust me, I'm far from being there, but I want to testify that God is good, His word is powerful and it's important.

Some might say that memorizing is too hard, your mind doesn't work that way, etc. I know that this sounds hard, but Jesus had lots of "hard sayings". I'd challenge you to really examine your heart to see if there's a laziness that's keeping you from memorizing God's Word. (This can be especially clear if you seem to have lots of other things memorized like songs, movie quotes, sports statistics, etc). If you do indeed find laziness in your heart toward the Bible, repent, turn from your sin and dive into Scripture! Now this next part is important, there's a little verse in the Bible that says "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." Now I know that we all think that we're the only exception to the Bible, that God wrote that for everyone but me, I don't count. I hate to break it to you, but it doesn't work that way. There's another Scripture that says that God is "not a man that He should lie." I know that it sounds crazy to actually believe what the Bible says... but trust me on this one. God gives us the armor of God in Ephesians 6. And the one piece of offensive equipment that we're given is the sword of the Spirit. The writer of Hebrews tells us that this is the Word of God. So, God gives us His Word to wield as a sword in spiritual warfare. Now, it would be kind of a cruel trick to give us a sword that we couldn't pick up, wouldn't it? Picture this huge William Wallace sized sword that you can't get off the ground, much less do any damage with. Lot of good that would do you, huh? Just to let you know, God doesn't do stuff like that to His children. If He's going to give you a weapon, he's going to make sure that you can use it. Now, that's not to say it won't take time building to up your muscles to handle it with skill, but it was made for you and you will prevail. In the same way, God's Word was written for us - His people. He didn't make it too hard to be of any use to us. He's not that kind of God. It might take time and effort to study and know the Bible, but we will prevail. God made your mind to know His word, it just works that way - isn't He good? So, just ask God for strength, grace and discipline as you attempt to dive into His word that you might steward it well, proclaim it in the face of temptation, and wield it skillfully in battle.

0 comments:

Post a Comment