Wednesday, July 8

Jesus & Jane


This morning I had humorous conversation with one of my roommates at the breakfast table. We were discussing books and movies and someone brought up Jane Austen's classic, Emma. My roommate began to tell of her complete dislike for the book which ultimately resulted in her tossing it aside after only the first 100 pages. I, being quite the Jane Austen fan ,was naturally appalled by this! How could she rob herself of such a masterpiece. For those of you who are not familiar with the story, Emma is a young woman with a affluent lifestyle in 18th century England. She is selfish, spoiled, inconsiderate and downright rude for much of the book. Now you might be siding with my roommate on that description alone, but the climax of the book is Emma's redemption. Through a series of events, Emma sees the cruel folly of her ways, repents, reforms and even manages to live happily ever after with the man of her dreams by the last page. This is what I was so intent on explaining to my roomie this morning in our playful debate. But, try as I might, she could just not get past Emma's selfishness at the beginning of the story. As she stood to take her dishes to the sink, she matter of factly called back that she just can't read stories where the main character is terrible and still manages to "get the guy at the end," even if she does change. I teasingly responded with, "Do you read your Bible?"

Although this trite conversation could be quickly forgotten as just another feminine dialogue in a house of 5 young women, it has stuck with me. I am Emma. I am prone to selfishness and sin. That's my story. But through a series of divine actions, I've come to a place of repentance, turning from my sin nature into life in the Spirit. And I even get to end up with Prince Jesus at the end of the story. Today I am struck by the simple beauty of the gospel. Although I am completely undeserving, Jesus has snatched me from the flames and called me into a life of love with Him.

Although I am a self-confessed lover of Miss Austen's work, I can not credit her with the beauty of Emma's storyline. There is nothing new under the sun and her novel is simply a lesser version of the greatest love story ever told. Set your heart on Jesus today and mediate on the beauty of your salvation story. If you want some more inspiration, you could read Emma, watch the movie, or better yet... read your Bible.

3 comments:

Jonathan Herring said...

I like your Emma analogy. I hadn't thought of it before.
I think reading the book requires a certain amount of aloofness and lack of seriousness. Often times, I found my self quietly laughing at all her blunders, really that's the only way I was able to enjoy the book.

Chelsea Rae said...

haha, I agree Jonathan. Props to you for reading it!

Anonymous said...

I really liked this, Chelsea. I didn't think of it that way. Thanks for the great insights! You certainly have a way with words!
God bless you, Dear Sister!
-Jessica C

Post a Comment