Monday, August 17

Downtown Healing

One evening a few weeks ago, I was walking in the city with some friends and I passed a woman sitting at the bus stop with two walking canes. I immediately heard the internal voice of the Holy Spirit tell me to go and pray for her healing. So I stopped dead in my tracks, handed my things off to my friend and approached this older woman. I introduced myself, (thankfully she spoke English, because my Hebrew isn't at that level yet) mentioned that I had noticed her canes, and asked her the reason for them. She explained that she has suffered from rheumatoid arthritis in her back and both knees for many years. I shared with her the work that Yeshua has done for her and that He wants her to live without this pain. She smiled, patted me on the hand, and matter of factly stated, "Oh, honey, a life without pain would be impossible for me." Impossible...huh? I smiled right back at her and stated a fact of my own, "All things are possible with God." At this point I was getting excited to see how God was going to show up. She consented to me praying for her and even allowed me to lay my hands on the areas of pain. (When you have a true revelation that you carry the Spirit of the Living God Who created the Heavens and the Earth living inside of you, you want to lay your hands on sick people!) I prayed a simple prayer, but full of faith. After asking her to test her back and knees for the pain, she said "I feel comfort in my body and I can't feel the pain!" Hallelujah! I explained that the Comforter is the Holy Spirit of God and we talked about Yeshua for a bit. I encouraged her to continue checking her body over the next few days and to know that when the pain wasn't there, God's Son Yeshua the Messiah, has healed her. After that, she got on her bus and I rejoined my friends who had been faithfully praying a little ways off on the sidewalk.

You see, this is the life of the normal Christian. When we, who have Jesus in us, come into contact with people who are sick, it creates an opportunity for the Holy Spirit to show up and show off His love for humanity. Sick people + Jesus is always a good combination. I'm not a super Christian - I didn't spend an hour in prayer before I approached this woman, I wasn't fasting for her healing (in fact, we were on our way to dinner!) and I had even sinned that day. I'm just a girl who loves Jesus and is willing to step out in faith that others may also know His great love. With my Abba, everyday is "take your daughter to work day."

So be encouraged! We serve a God that heals the sick, raise the dead and delivers the oppressed. Step out today. Sick people are simply opportunities for God to show His love. But you may be asking... what if they don't get healed after I step out and pray for someone, especially in public? Won't I feel silly, or worse yet, won't that make God look bad? But I ask, if God does heal someone we pray for, can we take credit for that? Of course not! That also means that we don't have to take responsibility if He doesn't. It's really, really not about us. And if they don't get healed, what's the worse that happens? They meet someone passionately in love with Jesus, and full of radical faith, telling them that God loves them. Not bad.

0 comments:

Post a Comment