Monday, August 10

Little Brother. Man of Courage. Son of God



Today is my little brother Travis' 18th birthday. I suppose that I can't really call him little anymore. A couple years ago he finally passed me in height and it was several years ago that he passed me in strength, which gave me quite the disadvantage in our wrestling matches. But over the years Travis has not only grown physically. He has grown in strength of Spirit and character as well. It's been an amazing thing to watch. What a gift God gives us in siblings. For the last 18 years, I have had a daily front row seat to see the work of Jesus in another's life. Rarely do we get to see so deep into someone's life as with our family, not even the closest friend can compare. Admit-ably, I have not always treasured this beautiful opportunity. In our growing up years I displayed my fair share of selfishness and unkind behavior, but I am grateful to the Father that He has brought so much healing and I have come to the place where I can truly appreciate my family.

This is one of those days that I wish I could be home with my family, even if it was just 24 hours. I wish I could be with my brother on this special day. Travis isn't a little boy anymore. He is becoming a man. A man after God's heart. A man of worship. A man of courage. A man with valiant strength and a tender heart. I am so proud of that man. I could go on about him for a long time. I sometimes playfully, yet affectionately refer to him in conversation as the "golden boy". Travis has played and excelled in almost ever sport you can think of - basket ball, baseball, football, soccer, even BMX. He recently placed in the top 5 at Nationals for archery. He plays guitar and piano. This last year was his first year in public school and you guessed it... honor roll. He is a young man full of talent and heart. Don't get me wrong, he's not perfect, he's still got plenty of teenage guy in him, but he's special one.

I remember funny things from the years past - going snowboarding together, having pizza and movie parties when our parents were out, the first time I ever rode in his car and he was driving (this was a very surreal experience!), liking the same music, all the little girls in our youth group having a crush on the quiet cute guy with that beautiful curly hair. When it was revealed that was in fact this heart throb's sister, I was immediately surrounded with fainthearted 9th grade girls asking a myriad of questions about him. The beauty of this silly situation is that when asked about his feelings toward his adoring fanclub, Travis responded with something like "I'm in 9th grade and can't get married right now. There's no point of me getting into a relationship with a girl if there's no possibility of us getting married." Travis is still committed to that and confidently states to this day that the only girl he's kissed is his mommy. Trust me, it has not been for lack of opportunity! He's turned into quite the man of conviction and I couldn't be more proud.

Travis plans on attending Bethel Church's School of Supernatural Ministry after he finishes his senior year of high school this next spring. I am so blessed to hear that my brother is pursuing the things of God in this way. I've sown many prayers into his life over the last few years and am thrilled with the path he's choosing to walk. And I can't wait to come visit him at Bethel!

I got to talk to Travis a couple days ago on skype. It'd been a wile since we'd had the opportunity and it did my heart so much good to hear him talk of the things God is doing in his heart. The Holy Spirit has been releasing the song of the Lord in him and worship has been flowing out. I loved hearing his excitement as he recounted the work of the Lord in his life.

Many in our culture view age 18 as the entrance into adulthood. Yes, today is a big day for Travis. It's an exciting birthday and I wish so badly that I could be there to celebrate it with him. But today, Travis is not a man because the world tells him he finally reached the magic number 18. No, today Travis is a man because of his character. Because he has stood firm in his convictions amidst a generation prone to waiver. Because he is choosing for himself whom he will serve.

So happy birthday little brother, man of courage, son of God, I hope it's a great day! I love you!

2 comments:

Ben Hansen said...

Chelsea, this gave me goosebumps. God works in the most curious ways. Give Travis a big happy birthday from me.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to your brother, Chels! I didn't know all of these talents in him, but have always seen a bright and God-focused spirit in him. :-)
Blessings to you both,
Di

Post a Comment