Wednesday, February 24

Sisters of the Common Life


Last week in our VVC (Vision, Values, & Convictions) class, we were challenged to look at rules of life. These are often monastic rules, orders, and resolutions. We were encouraged to seek inspiration from those who have gone before as we began forming and drafting our own rules of life that we want to be held accountable for. I was immediately drawn to my hero, Amy Carmichael. She formed an order of young women in India that gave up everything to champion the Gospel. These valiant young women were called the Sisters of the Common Life. May you be as challenged by their commitments as I was and inspired to write your own.


My Vow.

Whatsoever Thou sayest unto me, by Thy grace I will do it.

My Constraint.

Thy love, O Christ, my Lord.

My Confidence.

Thou art able to keep that which I have committed unto Thee.

My Joy.

To do Thy will, O God.

My Discipline.

That which I would not choose, but which Thy love appoints.

My Prayer.

Conform my will to Thine.

My Motto.

Love to live, live to love.

My Portion.

The Lord is the portion of mine inheritance.

Teach us, good Lord, to serve Thee as Thou deservedst, to give and not to count the cost, to fight and not to heed the wounds, to toil and not to seek for rest, to labor and not to ask for any reward save that of knowing that we do Thy will, O Lord our God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

Post a Comment